2014 Scholarship Information
- All applications, essays, commitments and transcripts are due in the HPOU Office no later than 4 p.m. Friday, February 28, 2014.
- Official transcripts mailed by the students’ school must be postmarked by February 28, 2014.
- Download the Scholarship Application
- Please submit, in your own words, a typed, double-spaced essay 3-5 pages in length.Â Your paper should be typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman font with a 1 inch margin.Â
- You may attach a cover sheet with your name; however, we request that you DO NOT type your name on the essay itself.
- Qualifications and additional information below.
In the 1970’s the United States began to deinstitutionalize the mentally ill from state run hospitals.Â Since this has occurred Law Enforcement Officers and County Jails are now coming into contact with mentally ill individuals on a daily basis; thus thrown into the mix for keeping these individuals safe and accountable for their behavior.Â How is this problematic for law enforcement, the mentally ill, and the families of the mentally ill?
General Scholarship Information
All documents and written essays must be in the office of the Education Committee by a deadline provided by the committee. This deadline will be posted on the web site, as well as the Badge and Gun. Deadlines and Essay topics will be posted at the beginning of each calendar year.
Applicants whose submissions are late or do not comply with all the listed criteria will have their application and documents returned. There will be no resubmissions.
To qualify for a scholarship, a student must:
- Be a dependent of an active or retired member in good standing with the HPOU
- Be a high school senior who will be entering college for the first time
- Submit the application along with a copy of his or her high school transcripts
- Submit a written essay of 3-5 pages on a topic that has been selected by the HPOU Education Committee
- Have all these documents and the essay in the office of the Houston Police Officers' Union by the close of business day provided by the committee
The Houston Police Officers' Union recognizes the importance of higher education and endeavors to assist its members in providing the necessary funding for their dependents.
Please submit all documents in a letter sized manila envelope with your name on the outside.
Your packet should include the following:
- Completed Application Form
- Official High School Transcript
Official High School Transcripts:
High School transcripts must be “Official” Sealed Transcripts Issued from your high school. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted, transcripts issued to student/parent will not be accepted and official transcripts that have been opened or the seal broken will not be accepted.
Please do not include letters of recommendation; they will not be included in the scoring process.
Please submit, in your own words, a typed, double-spaced essay 3-5 pages in length. Your paper should be typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman font with a 1 inch margin.
You may attach a cover sheet with your name; however, we request that you DO NOT type your name on the essay itself.