Whether you need to lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose or BMI, these five steps can get you back on track.
- Aim for 30 minutes of moderate activity, such as walking, jogging, swimming, biking or dancing, five days per week.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet. Fill your plate with plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.
- Don’t smoke or use other tobacco products.
- Limit alcohol. If you drink alcohol, do so moderately. That means no more than one drink daily for women and no more than two drinks daily for men.
- Ask about medicine. In addition to making lifestyle changes, taking certain medications can provide an extra boost to bring your numbers within the healthy range. Talk with your doctor to learn if medicine might help you.