Police Week activities in Houston always accentuate the strong, dedicated fundraising role the Houston Police Foundation constantly plays to support the every-day operations of the Houston Police Department.
This role always seems to see the brightest light every May, especially at the Police Week Heroes Luncheon at the Downtown Hyatt Regency, honoring the finest of Houston’s finest.
“The Houston Police Foundation strives to promote awareness, enhance safety, and improve performance within the Houston Police Department by encouraging citizen involvement and support in making Houston a safer city for all,” foundation executive director Charlene Floyd said.
Floyd, who’s present at each and every HPOU general membership meeting, always eagerly points out that the foundation “is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) corporation formed by local business leaders to support projects of the Houston Police Department.
Donations made by individuals and companies fund special programs, officer safety, training, equipment, and new technology – none of which would be feasible under the City budget. Approximately 96 percent of HPD’s annual budget goes to pay officers and other department personnel.
Renowned Houston/Galveston businessman Tilman Fertitta serves as chairman of the foundation board, leading an impressive roster of Houston area business leaders, all dedicated to the success of the Houston Police Department.
HPD Senior Police Officer Kelly Wallace, the Department’s foundation liaison, released the latest projects funded by the foundation. And they are:
- Air Support – Hearing Protection $11,876
- Recruiting – iPads $3,172
- Bomb Squad – Robotic Controller $7,719
- Auto Theft – Getac Laptop Computers $8,107
- Tactical Operations – Fitness Equipment $35,000
- Canine – Portable Evaporative Coolers $11,738
- SRG – Training Pistols / Helmets $12,680
- Major Offenders – Ballistic Shields / Helmets / Ram $10,869
- WET / Tactical Units – Entry Vests $144,190
- South Central – Police Bicycles $6,057
- Narcotics – Tactical Carbines $18,920
- DWI Task Force – HGN Camera and Audio Recorder $74,925
- Vehicular Crimes – Robotic Total Station for Crash Scene Mapping $112,000
- Narcotics – Custom Dog Boxes for Truck Beds $22,882
- Special Operations – Police Bicycles $22,125