HPOU Members please take notice: Know Your rights about Worker’s Compensation

Tom Kennedy

The Union has stepped up its efforts to stress the importance of members clearly knowing the steps to take to ensure they know and receive all their worker’s compensation entitlements.

The ongoing awareness campaign includes flyers (see the one in this issue) along with brochure handouts that succinctly outline the steps to be taken when you are injured at work or in an automobile accident.

The primary point stressed here is: You can count on your union physicians for quality care and assistance. Your Union representative, Sara Santiago, is available by calling 1-800-871-0551.

The bullet points in this important advisory bear repeating here:

  • You must report your injury to your supervisor and/or management as soon as you are aware of the injury. Timely reporting is very important.
  • The emergency room doctor is not considered your treating doctor.
  • You have the right to choose your treating doctor. You do not have to be treated by the company doctor. If the employer is under a network program for workers’ compensation then you must see a doctor under the plan. Santiago can help you find a network doctor.
  • You have the right to change your treating doctor.
  • The insurance carriers must request an order from the Texas Department of insurance before you are required to see a doctor of their choice.
  • You are entitled to receive temporary income benefits if you are unable to work.
  • You are entitled to receive impairment income benefits if you are permanently injured.
  • You must file a Notice of Claims form (DWCC41) within one year to the Texas Department of Insurance.
  • You can not be fired for reporting an on-the-job injury.