2017 HPOU Scholarship Instructions/Application
To qualify for a scholarship, a student must:
- Be a dependent of an active or retired member in good standing with the HPOU
- Be a high school senior who will be entering college for the first time
- Submit the application along with a copy of his or her official high school transcripts
- Submit a written essay of 3-4 pages on a topic that has been selected by the HPOU Education Committee
- Submit a signed HPOU Scholarship Commitment Letter
- Have all these documents and the essay in the office of the Houston Police Officers’ Union by 4pm on February 24, 2017.
- Official transcripts mailed by the students’ school must be postmarked by February 24, 2017.
Please submit all documents in a letter sized manila envelope with your name on the outside.
Your envelope should include the following:
- Completed Application Form
- Official High School Transcript**
- Completed Commitment Letter
**Official High School Transcripts:
High School transcripts must be “Official” Sealed Transcripts Issued from your high school. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted, transcripts issued to student/parent that are not sealed will not be accepted and official transcripts that have been opened or the seal broken will not be accepted.
Please do not include letters of recommendation; they will not be included in the scoring process.
Please submit, in your own words, a typed, double-spaced essay 3-4 pages in length. Your paper should be typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman font with a 1 inch margin.
You may attach a cover sheet with your name; however, we request that you DO NOT type your name on the essay itself.
Applicants whose submissions are late or do not comply with all the listed criteria will have their application and documents returned. There will be no resubmissions.
Texas State Senator John Whitmire plans to introduce a bill to teach high school students how to conduct themselves when being stopped by the police? Are you for or against this? Please explain.
DEADLINE: All applications, essays and transcripts are due in the HPOU Office no later than 4 p.m. Friday, February 24, 2017.
*Official transcripts mailed by the students’ school must be postmarked by February 24, 2017.